Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to the NHECC ‘FAQ’ page. 

We are currently compiling a list of frequently asked questions about the Council. Check back soon for a more comprehensive list of Q&A! In the meantime, click on the questions below to learn more.

What does the Council do?

How can I get involved?

How can I find help for my family?

How can I learn about child care options in New Haven?

How do I register my child for preK in New Haven?

How do I register my child for Kindergarten in New Haven?

Where can I learn about summer and after school programs in New Haven?


FAQs for Educators

Is there any money to help me go back to school to further my education?

The CT Charts a Course website has information on scholarships to help you further your education, as well as on financial aid programs. Once you become part of the CCAC Registry, you will receive announcements when CCAC scholarships funds are available.

Once I do get a degree, does my salary increase?

It depends. Some organizations will increase salaries when a teacher or assistant teacher completes an early childhood degree (Associates or Bachelors or other degree/credential). Nationally, wages for early childhood educators, even those with Bachelors degrees, are not commensurate with other professions requiring a similar degree. Learn how early childhood educators across the country are advocating for worthy wages at the Center for the Child Care Workforce website.

I already have a degree. How do I find out about professional development trainings like workshops or seminars in the New Haven area?

Go to our Professional Development page for a current listing of offerings by the New Haven Early Childhood Council. If you aren’t already, become a member of the local NAEYC, the New Haven AEYC to receive mailings on their series of workshops.